Friday, October 16, 2009

Talking with My Hands

**********************


It was brought to my attention a few days ago that I use my hands a lot when I am talking. Excitement, anxiety, playfulness, candor, persuasion... all seem to bring it out even more than "normal" and my hands become as birds flittering in a high wind.

Apparently I do this a lot, and just don't notice until someone points it out.

I wonder why this is, this talking with my hands. Certain stereotypes are depicted on small and large screens as having this same affliction. Hands become part of the vocalization to the point that if you were to tie someone's hands together, they would become dumbfounded and lose a certain about of loquaciousness until untied.

At least I think I have seen a movie where something like that has happened.

Anyway, I often wonder where I got it. I don’t remember my parents using their hands that much, or my grandparents, or other members of my family, I am nearly 100% Irish, not a drop of Italian, so it isn’t genetic as far as I know (there's that stereotype!). Again, as far as I know, the Irish are known mostly for their singing and pubs and seemingly personal knowledge of the mystical.

My hands move of their own volition; I do not consciously control their movements and they will not be tied. Why is this? Why do I - or anyone else for that matter – use hand gestures when we speak? Emphasis? Persuasion? Illustration? Animation? Theatrics? Diversion? Comedy? Prevarication?

All of the above?


I know that some people laugh good naturedly at this little habit of mine and others - the less imaginative ones, I imagine - are annoyed at what they perceive to be an attempt at distraction, actively sneer and ultimately laugh at me… not so good naturedly as others.

Eh. So what? Let them laugh.

As the great Charles Dickens wrote, “…he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins, as have the malady in less attractive forms.”

My hands are birds… watch them giggle and flutter and fly!



Just Musing,
Susan

* This one’s for you, Chuck! :)


***************************************

1 comment: