Friday, March 5, 2010

Do Overs

**********


Have you ever reached a point in your life when you look back and wish you could change one, two, three things, rectify mistakes, reverse decisions, taken a different career path, or.... maybe just whisper something into your younger self's ear, a warning perhaps?

What would you do if you had the ability to do just that, to whisper one sentence in your younger self's ear, knowing that what you said would be absolutely believed. Would you do it?

Would you really do it, would you change that one thing?

Would you go back in time and change something that could, no, WOULD change everything that happened afterwards? Perhaps leading you into a completely different life, different path, career, home...

Not everyone feels that they have made really terrible mistakes along the road of this life, but most people, I think, have one or two things they would have done differently if they "knew then what they know now".

In the deepest, darkest corners of my own mind, when I look back on nearly 53 years of living, I see a whole slew of mistakes, really bad choices, times when I was too fearful to do something I should have done, or was too arrogant to look at both sides, or said the wrong thing and hurt someone, or went along with something I knew I shouldn’t have just because it was easier, or I believed in the absolute wrong person… My life is rife with these errors in judgment, some big, some small, some huge, some too embarrassing to even recall without cringing.

So if I had ONE do over, one chance to warn myself, would I take that chance, even though it might change everything?

Yeah, I think I would.

I would warn myself about getting involved with a particular person who ended up stealing four years of my life and hurting me on so many levels, including my relationship with my own children. I still think back on the entire episode in my life with real bitterness, even after nearly fifteen years.

My own scars I maybe could have lived with, but what it did to my relationship with my own wonderful, marvelous kids is just... awful. My children, who I carried, bore and raised, loved more than my own life then and now, one selfish and stupid mistake in character judgment changed everything.

We have managed to get through it and now I am close - in as many different ways as they are different from each other - to all three of my now grown children, but there was heartache that did not need to happen, tears that did not need to be shed, confidence that did not need to be shattered, pain that I did not have to put them – or, let's be honest here, myself – through.

Yeah, I would do it.

How about you?



Just Musing,
Susan



***********

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, this one struck home deep... I was just thinking today of one decision I made that messed up a whole bunch of things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe, maybe not. There is so much in our lives that is interconnected. If you do this one thing today, it affects how someone else does something tomorrow. If you don't do it, it will change what happens next. If you do it, but do it differently, louder, softer, kinder, harsher, it will affect the outcome. And who knows what that outcome would have been? Better ? Worse, heaven forbid?
    Personally, I look at the one that got away and wonder what if? What if I had done that one thing differently, would we still be together? If we were together, then what would happen with the wonderful children I have now? Or what if I had been stronger with that other person, if I hadn't been so worried that they would leave me or not love me, what would have happened with that relationship?
    I think about these things. Obviously, we all do, to one extent or another. But I always come back to this one inescapable conclusion. I'm happy with the way things ultimately turned out. And if I had changed something earlier, would I have ended up with this outcome? And that's what gets me through these days. I'm happy now, and whatever it took to get me there was ultimately worth it.
    Just my two cents on the topic,
    Martin O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would do it and hope that I listened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh if we could have Clarence to show us what if. To think that maybe one word one different step, the meeting of someone and it could put a wrinkle in our fabric that could never be straighten. I would have to say I am blessed. In this life I believe everything was set in motion long ago for a reason. I will probably never know why but it is what is suppose to be.
    The Butterfly Effect..Minor change in cicumstance causing a large change in outcome.And as we all know not all change is good. Why to go Susan..one why to get me thinking at 12:03 a.m

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad at 12:03 am I dont know how to spell way

    ReplyDelete