Sunday, January 24, 2010

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!

******

The problem with some people is that they tend to vocalize EVERYTHING they are thinking, even when it is not appropriate to do so.

Case in point: Talking, texting, checking email, etc. at the movies...

The problem I have is that I LOVE movies and want to get lost in them, to immerse myself in the experinece - the best movies are wonderful roller coaster rides!

Any distraction, even the blue glow of a cell phone in the row in front of me (stadium seating means that you can see right into the laps of all of the people in front of you!), takes me right out of the experience and back to reality. This can be mildly annoying to REALLY WANT TO RIP YOUR HEAD OFF BECAUSE YOUR LAME COMMENT MEANT THAT I MISSED SOMETHING IMPORTANT!!!!

As a result, I am ALWAYS shushing people, even my hubby and kids. Sometimes, if the distraction is great from stranger, I will begin with a glare and escalate to asking them to keep it down if they don't get the hint. A couple of times I have even threatened to have people thrown out (almost always teens with attitudes and very loud voices), and one time I did just that - to some scattering applause from the other patrons who were being annoyed by the antics of a few rude people.

Even when I am at home and watching something engrossing, whether it is my favorite TV show or a movie from our collection, I really want quiet!!! ESPECIALLY if it is a new movie that I haven't seen, or an especially good part in an old favorite. I am not sure why it is that some people feel the need to REPEAT the dialog we just heard - no matter how funny or wow-inducing - loudly accompanied by drawn out laughter or a long comment so that the next three lines are ALSO missed.

This may seem harsh, but with 1552 DVDs and Blurays in our collection we are obvious movie fanatics and I. Want. To. See. The. Movie... not listen to your comments about it!!

Really, people, really.

So pass the popcorn and SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Just Musing,
Susan



********

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. If you are going to the movies..go to the movies leave the phone in the car or shut it off.If you want to talk go in the hallway. As far as laughing if it is a comedy then expect people to laugh. If you want to discuss the movie get a Blog or text your people when you leave the theater. My pet peeve at the movies is people who put their feet on the chair in front of them. This aint your house so dont put your feet on the furniture.My other one is sit down watch the movie you should not have to get up 5- 10 times during the movie unless you have bladder and bowel problems and if thats the case maybe you should rent movies for home. And my last one is the smell from the popcorn makes me want to hurl what are they putting on there? I might be the only person who does not like popcorn at the movies. My wife loves the popcorn when she gets it I sit there hopping she finishes before the movie starts so I dont have to smell it.

    ReplyDelete